Saturday, July 16, 2011

Can I get a job with a dietetic degree and being a certified lactation consultant?

I am entering my junior year in a dietetic program. I love what I'm studying and have no regrets on my choice. I am getting increasingly concerned though with snagging an internship (which you have to do to become an RD) at the end of my program. I have always been interested also in becoming a certified lactation consultant. I feel the two go hand in hand. My question is if I complete the dietetic program (bachelors in science with a major in dietetics) without doing the internship (thus no RD status) and complete the required certified lactation consultant courses (let's say I pass the courses and the national exam) would I have an issue finding employment? I would be an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) but not an RD (Registered Dietitian). Thanks for any advice. It will take a lot longer to finish school with doing the dietetic internship and I would like to start working sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment