Sunday, July 17, 2011

Christian Counseling Career and Education Questions?

I have been looking into a career in Christian Counseling. Some also call it a Lay Counselor. I would really like to work in a Church and counsel there. I have found an accredited school through the military. I am an Army Wife using the Post 9/11 GI Bill and they found a University that is accredited and real. The degree I'm interested in is a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Counseling. Its a Non-Clinical Counseling Degree. From what I understand from the N.C.C.A, (National Christian Counselor Association) I would then be able to go through them, once I've completed the Bachelor Degree, and work on a Masters Degree and then could take the test for certification. I am curious if anyone has dones this? If there are any Christian Counselors out there, on here, that could give me any advice or information? The University the Military pointed me to is, Mid-Continent University. From some research I've done, certification requirements for Christian Counseling, vary from state to state. This is why I think it would be best to move forward in receiving my Masters degree. I really would like to be a Christian Counselor. I do NOT want to be a regular Psychiatrist, Psycologist, or Counselor. I really want it to be a Christian based counseling job. Anyone have any tips or advice? From what I understand, you do not have to have a "clinical" education when it involves the Church. That if we felt as though a person needed more professional help, we would help facilitate that, refer them to one and help them get the help they need. I really, really love this. I am 30 years old and have been through so much in my life. I thought I always wanted to be a nurse and I have attempted 3 times to go back to school and each time something has stopped me. The last time, this past February. My father-in-law was killed in a car accident and we had to go to Oklahoma for a while to help, so I had to drop again. Yet each time, something has always popped up with me and Psychology. I just love the idea, it's something I'm interested in, but I want to be a Christian Counselor. Any information or advice on the career itself or education? Anyone whose a Christian Counselor now who can give me information on the job itself, the exact education required, just anything you can give me would be great. I have an extreme desire to do this. I feel like my whole life has lead me to this. I want to make sure I'm on the right path, taking the right steps, so that I can fulfill as what I can only describe as a calling. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment